The ECNV Travel Training program is for people with disabilities who want to learn to travel safely and independently using public transportation in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
Through the multi-day program that is comprehensive and individualized, you will learn a variety of travel skills that will enable you to ride your local transportation independently. The Travel Trainers will work with you to learn transit routes to travel anywhere you want to go.
Travel Training can benefit many people in the community including:
- Individuals with disabilities
- Family members and caregivers
- Schools and colleges
During Travel Training, you will learn travel skills including, but not limited to:
- Identifying transportation options
- Reading maps and schedules
- Planning the trip
- Buying and using SmarTrip cards
- Identifying the appropriate bus and/or train to ride
- Boarding, riding, and deboarding trains and buses
- Crossing the street
- Maintaining appropriate behavior
- Learning safety skills
- Handling unexpected situations or problems
- Planning for emergencies
- The Travel Trainer will work with you until you are confident and proficient in each travel skill.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How does the Travel Training process work?
A. Contact Andrew Shaw, (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Hunter Cardwell (email@example.com). They will set up an appointment to come out to your house or to a place of your choosing to discuss your travel skills and goals. The actual travel training will last until you are able to travel safely and independently.
Q. How much will Travel Training cost me?
A. Thanks to generous support from WMATA, we are able to provide this service for free.
Q. How long will the Travel Training take?
A. The training will take as long as it needs to take in order for you to travel safely and independently. It could take a couple of days or a couple of weeks. The Travel Trainers will be flexible to your schedule.
Q. Where can I learn to go?
A. Anywhere within the Washington DC Metro service area.